Follow me on Twitter

Friday, January 8, 2010

The dragons names is Rohan.....

I finally got around to making another store for my 2d work.....photos, prints, lino prints, ACEO's and the like. Usually my drawings and work end up at the bottom of the important papers bin, scratched and folded and marked with who knows what. Either that or my baby sister finds them and claims them for her own. So now I'm going to try and make an effort to save them and hope that someone else will give them a good home, and keep some of them for sister....off to the side. It will take me a while. I tend to put them in envelopes and "save" them. Of course that means they are hard for me to find. If not impossible to find.

I found an old sketchbook while digging in my papers. It was missing it's front cover, and slips of magazine clippings were falling out. I flipped through it. I was amazed at how many ideas I had during that time period that never became anything. One thing I noticed was the dragons. When I was a kid I read a book....from the Dragon riders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey to be exact....where humans and dragons worked together in some fantasy world. I became obsessed with dragons. I was really disappointed in the dragon artwork at the time, they were always cute or brightly colored. Nothing at all what went on in my mind. So I started to draw them myself. They looked horrible to say the least a tad better than stick figures. I was determined to make them look better. I started looking for books on drawing, on animals, on anything that would help me to make my dragons look how they looked in my mind. I learned about anatomy and value and texture. I practiced by drawing things around me, in my room, my friends...anything that would sit still really. I started collecting small pewter statues of dragons, with rhinestone eyes and flimsy wings. In fact the first one I ever bought still sits perched on a shelf in my studio, a reminder of my beginnings.

I guess that is how I started my artistic career, all that work to create something that was completely in my head.

Funny how these things work.

My two stores are: www.salmonberrydreams.etsy.com and salmonberrythoughts.etsy.com



One of the ACEO cards I did.



1 comment: